There’s nothing quite like the sweet satisfaction of a sugary treat, but have you ever thought about adding a little something extra to your favorite desserts? Cannabis infused sugar, also known as cannasugar or THC sugar, is a fantastic way to step up your edibles game and sweeten your day.
Cannasugar is versatile and can be used in a variety of different dishes, from baked goods to drinks, and even as a topping for your favorite breakfast cereal. Not only that, but it has a long shelf life and is a fun, unique way to get high.
Step 1: Decarboxylation
Before we dive into the recipe, it’s important to understand the process of decarboxylation. Decarboxylation is the process of heating cannabis at a specific temperature to activate the THC, which is what produces intoxicating effects. Without decarboxylation, your weed sugar will not have any psychoactive effects when consumed as an edible.
To decarboxylate cannabis, start by preheating your oven to 240°F. While the oven is heating up, break down your cannabis buds into small pieces and spread them evenly on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to ensure even heating. Once the cannabis is a light brown color, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
Step 2: Prepare Your Flower
For this recipe, we’ll be using 3 grams of ground, decarboxylated cannabis. To prepare the cannabis for the cannasugar, start by grinding it finely. This will ensure you’ll get the most potent results when we extract the THC later on.
Next, decarboxylate the cannabis using the method outlined above. Once the cannabis has cooled, you can place it aside and get ready for the next steps. You can even play around with different strains, or opt to use a sugary, dessert named strain like Sundae Driver for fun!
Now that your cannabis is prepped and ready to go, let’s gather the ingredients you’ll need for the THC sugar recipe:
- 3 grams of ground, decarboxylated cannabis
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 1 cup of grain alcohol
- 1 cheesecloth
- A glass jar
- A glass baking dish
Step 3: Making Weed sugar
With your ingredients ready, it’s time to start making your cannasugar. Follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 200°F.
- In a glass jar, combine your ground, decarbed cannabis with 1 cup of grain alcohol.
- Close the jar and stir gently, letting it infuse for around 30 minutes.
- Once that’s had time to infuse, open the jar and strain the liquid through your cheesecloth into the glass dish.
- Add 1 cup of sugar to the dish, stirring gently until it’s all fully dissolved into the liquid.
- Bake the dish at 200°F, stirring regularly until the alcohol is fully evaporated and you’re left with a dish full of sugar! You can also opt to use a pie plate and place it on the stove (low heat) for this step. Up to you!
- Let the sugar cool completely, break up any large pieces that may be stuck together, and store in an airtight container.
- Your canna sugar has been completed! Enjoy on its own, in your coffee, or come up with your own signature recipes.
How Much Cannasugar Should I Use?
Well, this depends on several factors such as the potency of your cannabis, amount used, and your own tolerance to THC! If you followed our recipe, that means you used 3 grams of ground flower. Let’s say that your cannabis had a THC level of 20%, that would mean that there’s a total of 600mg THC in your sugar.
This being said, if we divide the cup of sugar by 48, then that means there’s going to be around 12.5 mg THC per teaspoon. A good intro dose to edibles would generally be around 5-10mg, but it’s up to you to decide how you’re gonna dive in!
Tips for New Edible Users
While THC sugar can be a fun and unique way to get high, it is important to use caution when consuming edibles. Here are a few tips for those new to edibles:
- Start with a small dose. It can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours for the effects of edibles to kick in, so be patient and start with a low dose.
- Wait before taking another dose. It can be tempting to take more if you don’t feel the effects right away, but it’s important to wait at least 2 hours before taking another dose. Many stoners have learned this the hard way, don’t be like me!
- Store your edibles properly. Keep your edibles in a cool, airtight container away from children and pets.
- Be aware of the potency. The strength of edibles can vary greatly, so be sure to read the label or calculate your own dosage properly before consuming.