Third Quarter 2021 – Financial Highlights:
- Revenue increased by 99% to $48.1 million in the three months ended July 31, 2021, compared to $24.1 million in the same quarter last year. The third quarter of 2021 financial results incorporate the acquisition of META Growth Corp. (“Meta”) on November 18, 2020, Smoke Cartel, Inc. (“Smoke Cartel”) on March 24, 2021, Fab Nutrition, LLC. (“FABCBD”) on May 10, 2021, and DHC Supply LLC. (“DHC”) on July 6, 2021.
- As of today, Cabana Club membership has grown by 45% to approximately 221,127 (June 28, 2021 – 151,240) due in large part to the success of our ‘One Stop Shop’ accessories promotion.
- Gross profit increased by 75% to $16.7 million in the three months ended July 31, 2021, compared to $9.5 million in the same quarter last year.
- Gross profit margin in the three months ended July 31, 2021, was 35% compared to 40% in the same quarter last year.
- Adjusted EBITDA(1) for the three months ended July 31, 2021, was $1.5 million compared to $3.4 million for the same quarter last year. The decrease in adjusted EBITDA was primarily due to expenses related to the up listing of the Company’s stock to Nasdaq including directors’ and officers’ liability insurance premiums, Nasdaq listing fees, one-time professional fees, and additional human resources to support the integration of newly acquired companies. As a result of the up listing to Nasdaq, the Company became a non-venture issuer resulting in higher compliance requirements.
- Geographically in the three months ended July 31, 2021, $38.4 million of revenue was earned in Canada, $9.6 million in the United States and an immaterial amount internationally.
- Revenue from the United States increased to $9.6 million, compared to $5.7 million for the second quarter of 2021, representing a 69% increase sequentially.
- Segment-wise in the three months ended July 31, 2021, $46.3 million of revenue was generated by Retail, $1.8 million by Wholesale, and an immaterial amount by Corporate.
- Cash on hand as of July 31, 2021, totaled $26.6 million compared to $7.5 million as of October 31, 2020.
¹Adjusted EBITDA is a non-IFRS financial measure.
Since our inception over a decade ago there has never been a more opportunistic time for our company’s growth. Over the past year, we have been making strategic moves to successfully advance our rising portfolio of companies. We believe we can continue to build upon this momentum and capture a sizeable share of the cannabis market globally.
Raj Grover, President and Chief Executive Officer of High Tide
I’m proud of our team’s efforts this quarter which resulted in revenue increasing once again by 99 percent over last year and 18 percent sequentially, despite market disruptions due to pandemic related lockdowns and a very aggressive pricing strategy adopted by some value players.
“In Ontario, the largest cannabis market in Canada, due to pandemic related restrictions, our stores were closed for in-person shopping for about half of the second quarter with only click-and-collect and delivery permitted. Despite these challenges we have been able to remain EBITDA positive by increasing our revenue at a pace consistent with previous quarters. This last quarter saw us continue our organic growth momentum by opening seven new retail locations across Canada with a total of 93 locations today. While the Canadian retail market remains competitive, our one stop cannabis shop concept is very well received. This is evidenced by the fact that our Cabana Club membership grew by over 69,000 during the last quarter. We are very excited to have announced earlier today our new value focussed cannabis concept that is ready to be deployed in value sensitive markets. Beyond our bricks and mortar organic growth, we doubled down on more accretive e-commerce acquisitions last quarter, in the consumption accessories and hemp-derived CBD space, with a particular focus on the U.S. market. With these acquisitions our portfolio now includes three of the top five most popular online platforms for consumption accessories in the world. I remain excited about our e-commerce pipeline and look forward to sharing more good news on the M&A front in the very near future,” added Mr. Grover.
Third Quarter 2021 – Operational Highlights:
- The Company completed the acquisition of FABCBD on May 10, 2021, and Daily High Club (“DHC”) on July 6, 2021, enhancing the Company’s e-commerce business.
- The Company announced the filing of Form 40-F with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission fulfilling a significant milestone for the NASDAQ listing.
- The Company completed a 15:1 share consolidation on May 14, 2021, and began trading on the Nasdaq on June 2, 2021, under the symbol “HITI”.
- The Company was added to three prominent ETFs: Cannabis ETF (“THCX”), AdvisorShares Pure Cannabis ETF (“YOLO”), and Horizons Marijuana Life Sciences Index ETF (“HMMJ”).
- The Company closed an oversubscribed bought deal equity financing on May 26, 2021, for gross proceeds of $23.2 million.
- The Company announced the elimination of its senior secured debt.
- The Company completed the sale of KushBar retail cannabis assets to Halo for $5.7 million.
- The Company announced its plan to acquire leading online retailer DS Distribution Inc., (“DankStop”) to continue rapid expansion into the Unites States.
- The Company announced plans to increase its presence in Saskatchewan through acquisition of a Regina retail store portfolio.
- The Company opened seven cannabis retail locations under the Canna Cabana banner: two in Ontario, four in Alberta, and one in Saskatchewan.
- The Company completed the acquisition of all the common shares of 102105699 Saskatchewan Ltd., (operating as 102 Saskatchewan) for $2.7 million.
- The Company opened four new Canna Cabana stores, three in Ontario, and one in Alberta.
- The Company completed the acquisition of 100% of DankStop for US$3.85 million.
- The Company was added to the prominent ETF: ETFMG Alternative Harvest ETF (“MJ”).
- The Company announced the elimination of all its META convertible debentures.
- The Company entered into two white label partnerships with Heritage Cannabis Holdings and Loosh Inc.
- The Company finalized and revealed the store design for its new cannabis retail value outlets, “Cannabis Chop Club”.
Selected financial information for the three and nine months ended July 31, 2021:
(Expressed in thousands of Canadian Dollars)
The following is a reconciliation of Adjusted EBITDA to Net Income/(Loss):
High Tide continues to have a leading position in the Canadian bricks and mortar cannabis market with 93 locations across the country. Given the number of locations currently being built out, most notably in Ontario and Saskatchewan, the Company expects to be at approximately 110 stores by the end of calendar 2021, despite some delays experienced in securing building permits. The Company has made good progress on its application to enter the British Columbia market, and now expects that to occur by end of our 2021 fiscal year.
While competition has increased given material growth in store counts in Ontario and Alberta and the concurrent rise of value players, the Company is focused on maintaining and growing its market share. We have begun leveraging our unique positioning within accessories to attract and retain more customers, and this approach has already yielded meaningful increases to our top line over the past few months. Just this week we announced two initiatives to expand our revenue streams.
First, we entered into private label partnerships for our upcoming house-branded shatter and THC gummies. These will be our first white label products, which we expect will provide margin enhancing opportunities. We are also in negotiations with Canadian licensed producers to bring select products from the FABCBD catalogue into our store network and look forward to expanding into other categories in due course as market dynamics evolve.
Second, we announced the launch of our new retail value concept, “Cannabis Chop Club”, which will offer exclusive deals and wholesale prices to specifically address value-sensitive markets. The Company’s goal is to convert at least five existing stores by the end of the calendar year, with the first new builds expected to be completed in early calendar 2022.
E-Commerce remains a key focus for High Tide. The Company’s recent acquisitions in this area are performing well, and we expect to gain more momentum on this front. We are currently in discussions with multiple parties across a variety of end markets, with a particular focus on e-commerce within the growing ancillary and hemp derived CBD markets. With a current annual run rate of revenues in the U.S. exceeding $50 million, we believe we are excellently positioned to lever our U.S. customer base to also sell cannabis once permissible by federal regulations and/or exchange policies – and the Company intends to continue growing its U.S. presence in the meantime.
Conference Call Dial-In Information:
US/CANADA Participant Toll-Free Dial-In Number: (888) 869-1189
US/CANADA Participant International Dial-In Number: (706) 643-5902
Conference ID: 6717339
In order to join the conference call, all speakers and participants will be required to provide the Conference ID listed above.
About High Tide Inc.
High Tide is a retail-focused cannabis company enhanced by the manufacturing and distribution of consumption accessories. The Company is the largest Canadian retailer of recreational cannabis as measured by revenue, with 93 current locations spanning Ontario, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. High Tide’s retail segment features the Canna Cabana, NewLeaf Cannabis, Meta Cannabis Co., and Meta Cannabis Supply Co. banners, with additional locations under development across the country. High Tide has been serving consumers for over a decade through its established e-commerce platforms including Grasscity.com, Smokecartel.com, Dailyhighclub.com, and Dankstop.com and more recently in the hemp-derived CBD space through CBDcity.com and FABCBD.com as well as its wholesale distribution division under Valiant Distribution, including the licensed entertainment product manufacturer Famous Brandz. High Tide’s strategy as a parent company is to extend and strengthen its integrated value chain, while providing a complete customer experience and maximizing shareholder value. Key industry investors in High Tide include Tilray Inc. (TSX: TLRY) (Nasdaq: TLRY) and Aurora Cannabis Inc. (TSX: ACB) (Nasdaq: ACB).
For more information about High Tide Inc., please visit www.hightideinc.com and its profile page on SEDAR at www.sedar.com.
Original press release
Get ahead of the crowd by signing up for 420 Investor, the largest & most comprehensive premium subscription service for cannabis traders and investors since 2013.