Ascend Wellness Holdings Inc. is calling off the deal to take over MedMen New York due to concerns about MedMen’s allegedly ‘deteriorating’ assets.
During an earnings call on Monday, Ascend Wellness Holdings Inc. said they were no longer moving forward with their planned takeover of MedMen New York. During the call, Ascend founder and CEO Abner Kurtin said the company was calling off the $88 million deal over concerns about MedMen’s assets, which he described as “deteriorated materially” since December 31.
“We have been engaged in negotiations with MedMen for 17 months and because of the state of MedMen’s assets, it is time for all of us to move on. Because we will not be moving forward with the MedMen transaction, we have $70 million of unencumbered cash at a time when cash is dear.” — Kurtin during the August 15 earnings call
Ascend had already paid $4 million to MedMen New York as a deposit toward the $74 million closing consideration at the time of the May settlement; Ascend was also to make a $14 million payment upon the first sale of adult-use cannabis in a MedMen New York dispensary, according to a Cannabis Business Times report.
To Read The Rest Of This Article By TG Branfalt on Ganjapreneur
Published: August 23, 2022
The post Ascend Wellness ends MedMen New York takeover bid appeared first on L.A. Cannabis News.